As we move closer and closer to having an extremely robust lab environment, we have picked up a set of Cisco UCS 6100 Series Fabric Interconnects. Never worked with them before? Well, neither had I until just a week or so ago. After taking them out of the box, I noticed the firmware was extremely outdated and needed some attention. This how-to is a simple guide on how-to upgrade the firmware on a UCS-FI in stand-alone mode.
Before upgrading firmware
- If you are upgrading UCS-FI devices in production, make sure you understand the potential impact. The fabric interconnect as well as the corresponding I/O modules will reboot.
- When you download a firmware image bundle, a Fabric Interconnect needs at least twice as much available space as the size of the firmware image bundle.
- This guide assumes you have at minimum a base configuration on your UCS-FI device.
Outage Impacts of Direct Firmware Upgrades
- When you perform a direct firmware upgrade on an fabric interconnect, you can disrupt traffic or cause an outage in one or more of the endpoints in the Cisco UCS domain.
- The fabric interconnect reboots.
- The corresponding I/O modules reboot.
Perform the Upgrade
- From your browser, navigate to https://<ip address of management interface>
- For this document, we will be using https://172.16.55.11
- Select Launch UCS Manager
NOTE: This version only runs on Java 7u40
- Login using the administrative credentials either local or LDAP. This will vary depending on your setup.
- Select Firmware Management from the tab
- Select Download Firmware
- Select either the local copy on the machine you are working from or a remote location. For demonstration purposes,I have put this on my local desktop. You are simply loading the .bin file to the device to prep for activation.
- Select Activate Firmware. From the dropdown box, select the startup version you just uploaded.
- After activating the new firmware, you will lose connectivity for less than 1 minute to the UCS Manager GUI.
- Verify new firmware by selecting Installed Firmware from the tab.